Monday, June 13, 2022

Random Story – Showing my apartment

Years ago, some friends and I decided to get an apartment together, so I let the landlord of my first apartment know I was moving out.  They said they’d want to show my apartment to others and that they would call to let me know when they’d be there to show it.  A week or so later, they called and said that they’d be showing it the next day at 9:00.  At the time, I worked midnight to 8:00, so I went home, changed, and then just walked around town until almost 10:00, because I really didn’t want to be there.  When I went back, nobody was there so I had dinner and went to bed. 

If that had been it, I probably would have forgotten about it.  But then a week or so later, I was in bed one afternoon and some pounding woke me.  I didn’t really pay any attention to it, but then it sounded like someone opened my door.  THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE OPENED MY DOOR!  I got up and got dressed, and went out and there was someone showing my apartment.  They said that someone should have called, and they did, like around 10:00 when I was asleep.  So there was this awkward moment where I wanted to be like, “Do you have any questions?” but at the same time there were these strangers poking around my apartment.

Things got weirder a week or so later when I woke to find a message on my answering machine that they would be there around 2:00 to show the apartment.  This was news to me at 6:00.  Did I sleep through them showing my apartment?  Did they open the bedroom door, only to see me?  Or did they cancel and just not show up?  I don’t know.  But after that I propped a chair up against the inside of my bedroom door.

When I got enough warning, I stayed out of my apartment, but there were a couple of times either nobody called, or I went out and came back but they were running late, and so there were a couple awkward meetings.  I think in the last six or seven weeks I was there, they showed the apartment about twenty times.  I think they even showed it three times one day.  I don’t know the exact number, because I don’t know how many I slept through.  Since then I’ve wondered if it’s normal to show an apartment that many times, or was my first apartment just that bad?  I mean, it would have been in July and I didn’t have any air conditioning. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment