Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Why I’m staying on Twitter … for now.

 I first joined Twitter fourteen years ago.  And the main thing I use Twitter for is to vainly scream into the void hoping people will find out that I exist, and check out some of my books.  (Here’s my Amazon page, if you’re curious.)  To be perfectly honest, that hasn’t worked all that well.  Over the years I’ve tried to expand my presence on other sites, but none of them seemed as easy to use as Twitter.  Probably about a year ago, I decided to put more work into Twitter to have better/more content and to expand my follower base.  Since then I’ve put a lot of work into making my twittering better.

So of course, now is when it seems Twitter is going into a death spiral.  A lot of people are talking of leaving and looking for greener pastures.  Should I join them?  But where?  Facebook?  And be at the mercy of some other creepy billionaire with questionable morals?  Instagram?  I’m better with words than pictures, plus it seems like 95% of the people who follow me there are half-naked women trying to get me to check out their OnlyFans accounts.  Mastodon?  I’ve had an account for a while, but haven’t really done much there and don’t really have any followers.  Plus, I think I read that they don’t like you selling stuff there so my constant cry of “Buy my book” probably wouldn’t go over well.  Tribel?  I just started an account, so don’t have any followers, and it does seem like it is heavily politics centered, which isn’t really my thing. 

Right now, Twitter remains my primary social network, something that has taken me years to get to.  I can’t just jump to another one.  My hope is that sooner, rather than later, Musk will realize he’s in over his head and hire someone better suited to run the site.  I don’t have much hope for that, since I think he’ll try forty-seven increasingly odd ideas to fix a problem instead of just admitting he was wrong about something and undo a previous “fix.”

So I’m staying, hoping things get better.  Admittedly, I’m someone the assholes, haters, trolls, etc., have ignored because I’m not interesting enough to harass.  Or maybe since I’ve spent the last few years unfollowing/muting assholes I’m in a little pocket Twitter of decent people.  Who knows how long that will last.

Anyway, if you’re at all interested on finding me on the various networks, here’s my current list:

My personal Twitter, oneoveralpha

My writing Twitter, amanfewwords

Facebook

Instagram

Mastodon


Tribel

No comments:

Post a Comment