Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Announcing the Stephen L. Thompson Lunar Exploration Prize



I am a big support of returning to the moon.  I even wrote an ebook about it tilted, “The Moon Before Mars: Why returning to the moon makes more sense than rushing off to Mars.” I also wrote a collection of short stories set on the moon – “A Cabin Under a Cloudy Sea and other stories” – as a way to help build interest, and I’m working on a second collection, “Travels Beyond Imagination,” to hopefully be out in early 2018.  But I’ve decided to take another step to help foster our return to the moon, and that’s to set up the Stephen L. Thompson Lunar Exploration Prize.

The Stephen L. Thompson Lunar Exploration Prize will award the next human – regardless of nationality – who walks on the moon $13.  And I’ll give them a certificate.  When it comes time to reward them, I’ll find some certificate template online and make one.  The $13 is symbolic of them being the thirteenth human – after Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Pete Conrad, Alan Bean, Alan Shephard, Edgar Mitchell, David Scott, James Irwin, John Young, Charles Duke, Eugene Cernan, and Harrison Schmitt – to walk on the moon.  Now I know that compared to the budget of a moon mission $13 is … well, nothing, but the whole idea of this is the spirit of rewarding those who take us into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment