Thursday, December 15, 2022

Short story – “A Snowball’s Chance”

“A Snowball’s Chance”

“Hello, and welcome to Hell.”

“Excuse me?”

“Let me guess, you were a good person who led a good life, you don’t belong here, blah-blah-blah, blah-blah-blah-blah.”

“Well, yes.”

“Well, you still weren’t good enough and were sent here.”

“But where are the pits of fire and all that?”

“Ever hear of Global Warming?  As you humans warmed the planet, more and more of you became accustomed to the hot, humid, heat of Hell Classic.  So about a decade ago, the Big Man decided to make a change.  Hell froze over.  Instead of being jabbed with flaming pitchforks, you now get ice water enemas.  Instead of swimming in a boiling pool for all eternity, you now have to shovel snow for all of eternity.  And instead of demons nibbling off your toes, you now lose them to frostbite. 

“Welcome to Hell Zero … Degrees.  Don’t you just hate it?”

***

Several years ago, I was on a now defunct site where you posted stuff and got paid for visits, replies, etc.  As a way to get people to come back, I started doing monthly writing challenges.  I’d give a list of five words at the start of the month and ask people to write a story using all of them.  To show that it could be done, I’d have to write a story myself.  For one month I had the words: heat, humid, hot, hate, and hello.  I just started with, “Hello and welcome to Hell,” and it just sort of went from there.  I was looking at my stories from that site, and liked this one enough I figured I should repost it.

No comments:

Post a Comment