Monday, November 13, 2023

Random Story – For want of a lug wrench

This is just an odd little story from my life.

One Saturday in February, maybe 2006, I was going to meet with some friends and go to a matinee movie and then get some dinner.  The theater was only five minutes or so from my apartment, but we had still planned to meet fifteen or twenty minutes before the movie started.  I got in my car and backed out of the parking spot, but something seemed wrong.  I pulled back in and got out to see that my left front tire was flat.  Not having time to change it, I went back in and called one of my friends – who had a cell phone – to ask if he could pick me up.  And by the time he dropped me off that night, it was dark, so there was no point trying to change my tire then.

On Sunday, after lunch I planned on changing my tire.  I’d had my car for a couple years by this point, but I had never needed to change a tire on it before.  When I got it, I had looked to see if there was a spare, and there was a small one and a jack, and I didn’t think any more about it.  Well, I went out and opened my trunk, and got out the spare, and the jack.  I looked around, but couldn’t see a lug wrench.  I knew some jacks had a handle that doubled as a lug wrench, but that wasn’t the case with mine.  So I had no way to take the old tire off.  Fortunately, I had a can of Fix-a-Flat which I think had been part of an emergency road kit I got for Christmas a few years earlier.  Unfortunately, since it was the middle of February, it was frozen solid.  I took it in, but a couple hours later there was still a solid block in it.

Thankfully, Monday was President’s Day and I had the day off from work.  The Fix-a-Flat had thawed and I went out and put it in the tire.  And nothing happened.  So I called another friend – who lived closer – to ask if I could borrow a lug wrench.  He came out and I soon had the old tire off, and found out why the Fix-a-Flat did nothing: there was a foot long slice on the inside of the tire.  The strut, or something, had broken and there was a nice sharp chunk of metal that sliced though the tire.  I’m not entirely sure when this happened, because you’d think I’d hear something snapping and a tire being punctured.  Maybe it broke just as I parked Friday night, and there was a slow leak with the slice happening when I pulled out on Saturday.  Who knows.

Anyway, I soon had the small spare on, and set off to the Sears Auto Center about a quarter mile from the theater.  My friend followed me in case something happened, but I made it safely to the store.  I then spent an hour or more – on my day off – waiting for my car to be fixed. 

Sometime that week – possibly even on Tuesday – after work I went to the Walmart near where I worked for a lug wrench.  I can’t remember why I didn’t just get one at Sears.  Probably I just wanted to be done with it all, and didn’t think about getting my own lug wrench until I got home.  I think I had to walk down an aisle two or three times before I finally saw them on the bottom shelf.  I bought one, walked out to the parking lot, and threw it in my trunk.

I was about to say that I haven’t used it, but one time two or three years later, I was going to the apartment of the woman I was dating at the time, and as I drove along I thought something wasn’t right.  I pulled over and found one of my tires was flat.  I’m pretty sure it was on the left side, but I don’t remember which one.  I was soon able to get the spare on, and I think where I pulled over was within sight of the Sears Auto Center, so I went and got my tire fixed.  I think I just picked up a nail or something somewhere, so it wasn’t a huge deal.  Though it did ruin date night.


When I got my new car, five or six years ago, I checked and I think the handle for the jack that came with it is also a lug wrench, but I threw my once used lug wrench in the trunk.  I’ll keep it with me for every car I have from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment