Monday, September 19, 2016

My website is ten years old!





Actually, my website may be a little older, but it was on September 19, 2006 that I added a visitor counter.  Since then there have been over 16,000 visits, or almost four-and-a-half visits a day.  Which is a lot more visits than my first website got.  I was in college in the mid 90’s, and one of my professors was big on this new internet thing.  I don’t believe it was actually part of a class, but he showed us how to make webpages with Netscape, I believe.  If we wanted, he would have helped us get it online, but I never took him up on it.  That first webpage of mine – which I just carried around on 3.5 disk – was just a list of movies and TV shows I liked, with images from The Terminator, Babylon 5, and such.  I had links to things, but I’m not sure what they were. 

After college, especially once there were more interesting places on the internet, I made a new webpage which I again just carried around on 3.5 disk since most of my internet use at the time was from visiting the library.  This one was just a list of links I’d use instead of having to remember all the addresses.  Some were to my email, but others were to various websites I liked to visit on a regular basis.  For example, I’m pretty sure one was to Astronomy Picture of the Day.  Of course, I still have a box of 3.5 disks and I’d wager that one of them had my portable website on it.  I’d check, but I no longer have a computer that reads 3.5 disks. 

Anyway, once I started getting serious about my writing, I decided I should probably have a website to act as a central source for info about my writing.  And that’s basically what my current, on the internet website is.  If you check it out, you’ll find links to my books, as well as links to all of my stories that are online, many of which are on my website itself. 

I’m not really sure what else to say, but here’s to the next ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment