Monday, February 14, 2022

Random Story – A horse in a vase

This is just an odd little story from my life.

Several years ago, I was dating a woman heading into Valentine’s Day.  And I really didn’t know what to do.  I could have taken her back to the restaurant where we went on our first date, but I had taken her there in mid-January because of a fight.  So one day, in early February, we were at a store and she saw these foot tall, red vases.  She picked one up and looked at it for some time, but finally decided against it.  So later that night, after dropping her off, I went back to the store and bought one.  I also bought two bags of Hershey’s Kisses to fill the vase with.  But then I thought of something else.

She liked horses, so I went to the toy aisle and found a plastic horse that would fit in the vase.  My whole idea was that then she could honestly tell people that her boyfriend got her a horse for Valentine’s Day.

About a week before Valentine’s Day, we broke up, which was for the best.  We did an exchange of items – spare keys, books, etc. – and I thought about including the vase, but figured it would probably just come flying back at my head. 

A couple of months later, after eating all the Kisses, I had a vase with a horse that I didn’t know what to do with.  Then she reached out to me because she needed help with something, and over a few months we tried just being friends.  Afterwards, I did wonder if the “help” she needed was some ploy to maybe get back together, but if that was the case it blew up because of a weird string of events that are probably another Random Story.  Anyway, in that short window when we were friends, I gave her the vase, which when I told her why I bought it she said that would have been a very good gift.  As to the horse, I think she just rolled her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment