Monday, June 8, 2020

There’s no such thing as a bad cop

To some people, such a statement will seem like grounds for tar and feathering, but I hope they will actually read what I write before heating up the tar.

To me, a police officer is someone who maintains law and order, who protects and serves the public.  They are a necessary aspect of modern civilization and deserve respect, just like firefighters, doctors, teachers, etc. 

The problem is that there are also some people out there who either commit crimes or just look the other way while crimes are being committed who wear police uniforms.  Many will call such people bad cops, but to me, they are criminals – or at best impostors – in uniform.  It’s like, if I said that I hated Christmas many people would ask why I’m anti-Christian.  But I’d answer, “What does a three month orgy of consumerism have to do with Christianity?” We have these vastly different things – a religious holiday (which I am indifferent to) and a corporate orgy (which I’ve come to loath) – referred to with the same word.  To me, a cop is someone who protects and serves.  If you’re not doing that, then you’re not a cop.  We have a term for police officers, and a term for criminals, but we don’t have a term for where those overlap, although I’d say that criminal should be the term.

I will admit that there is a grey area between police officers and impostors in uniforms.  There are some slightly dirty cops, and they should be helped to clean up instead of letting fall further into crime.  Still, some actions are irredeemable and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. 

So how did so many non-cops end up in, or even running, police departments?  That is a serious issue that needs addressed.  But this is America.  The engine can be making odd noises for months, but it’s not until there’s flames coming up around the hood that we go, “Well, I guess I’ll have to see what’s wrong with it.”

 


No comments:

Post a Comment