Thursday, August 20, 2020

Father Brown and Lucifer

Last week I wrote about how I sometimes think about what I would do if I was somehow transported back in time.  It’s a fun way to pass the time.  A related time killer is to wonder what I would do if I somehow ended up in some series.  (It could also be a movie, but series usually cover more time and so give more opportunity to explore.)  For shows I’ve already watched, it’s fun to wonder if I could explain things to fix the problems that will come up, like uncovering the villain not revealed until a season finale cliffhanger.  And for shows that I haven’t seen, I wonder how I could explain things using my general series knowledge, like if it’s a police procedural than the character played by the famous – to me – actor is probably the murderer.

At some point in this bizarre train of thought, I wondered what series I would like to binge watch with a character from another series.  Yes, it’s weird, but what you do to pass the time makes perfect sense.  After some thought, I figured I would like to watch Lucifer with Father Brown.  Lucifer is a show about Lucifer getting bored of Hell, so he retires to Los Angeles.  There he meets a homicide detective and starts solving murders.  Father Brown is the title character from the 2013 series who lives in a quaint, small, 1950s English village where there is a murder every other week.  And half the time the local police arrest the wrong person and it takes Father Brown to piece together the truth.

The reason I would like to do this, is because I think Father Brown would be most interested in Lucifer, for both the crime solving and theological aspects.  I also feel that if the two could meet, Father Brown would become friends with Lucifer.  There have been several episodes of Father Brown where he’s met homosexuals and instead of preaching damnation at them, he’s treated them as people who are probably having a difficult time, and if there was anything he could do to help them he would.  In the case of Lucifer, I suspect he wouldn’t have the knee-jerk reaction of just taking God’s side and would actually listen to what Lucifer has to say.  One of the things that keeps coming up in Lucifer, is how he hates that so many people blame him for their actions: the devil made me do it.  And I’m sure Father Brown would understand that.  As for Lucifer, I think at first he would be amused with Father Brown’s willingness to bend the rules, but then he’d come to respect his judgment. 

Having written all that out, I’m now wondering if there is any Father Brown-Lucifer crossover fanfic.  It’s the internet, so there probably is.  That may, or may not, be horrifying.  Anyway, that’s just something weird I do to pass the time, and it fits in with the new season of Lucifer starting tomorrow.  In case you’re wondering, another show I might want to watch with Father Brown would be Warrior Nun, just because why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment