Friday, January 20, 2017

I never thought I’d see this day



I never thought I’d see Obama handing off to the next President.  Not because I’m a conspiracy nut who thought that Obama was going to rip up the Constitution and declare himself King, but because when he was elected in 2008 I thought there was a 99% chance that he’d be assassinated in his first year.  I did not expect him to live through his first term, let alone a second.  I don’t know if it was because the Secret Service did such a good job protecting him, or if the anti-Obama people were just talk.  I wonder if the Secret Service kept a list of idiots who threatened Obama just so they’d sound tough to the other anti-Obama people.  I also wonder if there were bars that would give people a free drink if they were investigated by the Secret Service for tweeting “death to Obama” or something. 

I really started thinking about this four years ago when Obama’s first term ended, but I didn’t want to say anything at the time for fear of giving people ideas.  And I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately because, well, it’s the end of his second term, but also because my feeling of certainty that Obama would be assassinated is matched by my feeling of certainty that Trump will be impeached.

No comments:

Post a Comment