Saturday, April 9, 2016

Orphan Black Season 3 Overview




In the episode “Governed as It Were by Chance” from the second season, Cosima explains to Sarah the legend of Zeus seducing Leda.  At the time, I was a little concerned that they would be bringing aliens or something into the plot.  Fortunately, that didn’t happen.  But now with the hidden Neolutionists with weird worms in them running around, I’m again a bit concerned that the show might be jumping the cloned shark.  When the first two seasons ended, I was excited.  There were so many ways they could take things and I was curious where they would go.  I had ideas, which all turned out wrong, but I wanted to know.  With the end of the third season, there were still many ways they could take things, but unlike with the first two seasons, some of these ways are the bad, scifi clichés.  I’m not saying the show is going downhill, it’s just that I have a slight concern.  However, given the history of how they’ve kept me engaged, I’d say there’s a 99% chance that in a few months when Season Four wraps up, I’ll be chomping at the bit to get to Season Five.

Another concern I had were all the characters.  On one hand it’s good that there are a lot of characters letting you see various angles on situations.  On the other hand, you can have good characters like Art who only show up in a few episodes, sometimes only for a few minutes.  I liked how they took Cal and Kira “out of the show” by sending them to Iceland.  It was a logical way to have them still in the series, just not in every episode.  Of course, the other way to thin out the cast list is to kill off characters, such as Seth, Rudy, Paul, Nealon, and Delphine.  Still, by adding in Virginia, Ferdinand, Shay, Kendall, Susan, and Krystal (who I heard is back for Season Four, although I don’t know if she’s a full member of the Clone Club or not) it feels like the cast list may still be a tad on the heavy side.  And there’s a new Leda clone MK, and apparently also a new Castor clone.  Perhaps some more people will be going to Iceland.  Hopefully.  I can’t think of any of those remaining I wouldn’t mind getting killed off.  Well, I don’t think anyone would shed a tear if Rachel was killed off.  Although I’m not sure if she still a villain, or more of a pawn.  Something to look forward to in Season Four.

Anyway, here are the links to my reviews for each episode of Season Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment